Studies reveal that about 40% of people will experience sciatica nerve pain at least once during their lifetime. Sciatica pain occurs when the sciatic nerve, the longest nerve in the body running from the back to the feet, is pinched, inflamed, or compressed. If you have sciatica, it's essential to see a chiropractic professional. Chiropractic care can treat the root cause of your sciatic nerve pain and prevent sciatica from reoccurring in the future. If you are looking for chiropractic care for sciatica in or around the Salisbury area, our team at Delmarva Chiropractic is here to help. Here's what you need to know about sciatica and how we can help.
Symptoms of Sciatica
The classic symptom of sciatica is pain that sprouts from the lower back and runs through the buttocks to the back of one leg. The other common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Numbness or weakness in your leg, buttocks, or lower back
- Pain that worsens with movement
- A feeling of needles and pins in your feet, toes, or legs
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
These are just a few of the many possible symptoms you may experience when suffering from sciatica.
Causes of Sciatica
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve is compressed or pinched. Common causes of sciatic nerve compression include:
- Spinal disc herniation: Spinal herniation is mainly propagated by lifting heavy objects, car accidents, and sports accidents. Disc herniation intensifies sciatica pain when you bend forward or stand.
- Spinal stenosis: It's a condition in which the spinal canal and the space occupied by the spinal cord narrows, compressing the sciatica nerve roots.
- Age: Natural aging can cause degeneration of structures in the lower spine, which can compress the nerve.
- Pregnancy and Obesity: Excessive weight on the lower back can cause the sciatic nerve to be compressed.
While everyone can get sciatica, some people are at more risk of this condition. For instance, poor posture, smoking, and an active labor job can increase the chances of experiencing sciatica.
How Does a Chiropractor Treat Sciatica?
Sciatica pain can be debilitating, but chiropractic treatment is critical in providing natural pain relief. Our chiropractors will work with you to create a treatment plan that's right for you. We may recommend spinal manipulation to lift pressure off the pinched sciatic nerve, reducing pain and promoting the body's natural healing process. Other treatment methods that we may recommend include:
- Chiropractic massage therapy
- Heat and cold therapies
- Spinal decompression
- Chiropractic exercises
- Lifestyle changes
Visit Us for Chiropractic Care for Sciatic Nerve Pain Relief
If you are suffering from sciatica, don't hesitate to contact us for a professional assessment. At Delmarva Chiropractic, our chiropractors will work with you throughout your recovery, ensuring optimal results.